For a century, St. Peter’s Boys High School has held true to the traditions and philosophy of the Christian Brothers of St. John Baptist de La Salle.
From the very beginning, we built our school around our mission to nurture a mature man who achieves his fullest academic potential, reflects Christian values in daily life throughout the community and recognizes civic responsibilities as a member of the larger world community. And while the landscape of our world has changed over the last 100 years, our conviction to uphold this mission in all we do has never wavered.
The origins of St. Peter’s Boys High School can be traced back to 1839, with the dedication of St. Peter’s parish. With the arrival of three Christian Brothers in 1917, the school was founded on Richmond Terrace.
In 1937, the main campus of St. Peter’s Boys High School was designated as a junior college of Manhattan College, another Lasallian institution. By 1943, the junior college closed and St. Peter’s Boys High School relocated to the corner of Clinton and Henderson Avenues, where it remains to this day.
In 1965, the Archdiocese of New York agreed to assist in the funding of a new gymnasium, which would also serve as the school’s auditorium. By 1969, however, the school’s closing was imminent. The community rallied around St. Peter’s and local support prevented the school from closing. As of 2016, the school enrollment included 575 students, 31 faculty members and four Lasallian Brothers who provide school oversight.
In 2017, St. Peter’s celebrated our 100-year anniversary as Staten Island’s oldest Catholic high school for young men.
“As I have said many times before, despite the fact that a great deal of time has passed, our Eagle spirit and tradition has not diminished. Rather, it has grown stronger. Our Lasallian charism is the mainstay of our everyday life.”
JOHN A. FODERA ’62
St. Peter’s Boys High School was built at Richmond Terrace where three Brothers arrive
to manage the school.The Brothers of Manhattan College in New York City dedicated
the campus and building at Clinton and Henderson Avenue for use as a junior college.
Shortly after, the junior college closed and the campus became the official home
to St. Peter’s Boys High School.
St. Peter’s built a new gymnasium and auditorium with a gift from the New York
Archdiocese and avoided the possibility of a closure thanks to the help of widespread
Project 2000, a capital campaign, allowed the school to add new laboratory facilities, a
computer center, library, administrative and guidance offices.
St. Peter’s was also able to expand the athletic facilities with a new football and
soccer field, a five-lane synthetic track, and a sports training and weight center with new
Enrollment for St. Peter’s Boys High School exceeded 500 with 575 students. Four
LaSallian Brothers and 31 faculty provide school oversight.
In 2017, the school also celebrated 100 years as a nonprofit, New York State
Regents-accredited high school by hosting a Centennial Celebration and establishing
“The Fund for St. Peter’s Boys High School,” an endowment to provide annual scholarships
and sponsorships for deserving boys at St. Peter’s.